R&R Outside Rear View Mirror Glass

Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I need to replace the mirror glass on both outside mirrors. The previous owner or the dealer who sold it to me somehow got wax/cleaning product slung onto the mirror glass on both sides and it has permanently stained/discolored the mirror glass. It's looks like a milky film but no glass cleaner can touch it. I have tried every method suggested on the internet to no avail. My local Hyundai dealer said he has seen this before when detailers use buffing pad to spread the cleaner/wax product on the side of the car near the mirrors. It can sling the product onto the mirror glass and, if not removed right away, permanently etch the mirror glass.

Anyway, it was not covered under warranty as I had hoped it would be and I now need to replace the mirror glass. I have the new mirror glass to use to replace the ruined ones. I think, but am not sure, that I can simply pull the mirror glass away from the backing plate and it will simply "unsnap" from the base plate. I have done exactly this method when I replaced a mirror glass on a 2010 Ford Fusion a few years ago. However, not knowing this for sure has me searching for someone who knows more about the Sonata and Hyundai's mirror glass setup. I cannot find anything on YouTube or the net on how to do this replacement on a 2018-19 Sonata. The closest I can find are videos showing how to remove and replace the whole mirror assembly, which I don't need or want to do.

Any assistance/knowledge would be appreciated.

OP
B
Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Thread Starter #2
OK. Looks like the Sonata community are not a chatty bunch so I'll answer my own post!
The mirror glass on my Sonata "snaps" out like almost every other hi-tech mirror these days. There are four contact points that the mirror glass base snaps into and out of plus three electrical connectors. I haven't "snapped" the new mirrors back onto my Sonata yet, just removed one from a damaged mirror assembly I got for cheap on eBay. The mirror was good but the housing was cracked. Anyone need a nice medium blue cap for the passenger side mirror assembly for a 2018-19 Sonata?

OP
B
Reactions
What I Drive
2019 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Thread Starter #3
All done! Replaced both R&L mirror glass on the vehicle. No issues w/getting the mirror glass to snap off the base. No issues getting the new mirror glass to snap back on the mirror motor base either. All indicators working and mirrors seem to be fully adjustable, as before.
Sure beats the dealer's quote for $80 to install the mirror glass on ONE side!
Trying to sell both used cloudy mirrors, blue cover for right side mirror, right side mirror motor and right side turn signal light assembly. Anyone? Bueller?